Thursday, October 23, 2008

Winter Wardrobe

  We have a problem in our house.  I have been unsuccessful in finding any clothes to fit Busy Lizzy (what AC is more affectionally known as around our house) for this winter.  She is petite and although she is 17 months old, she still can't wear most 12 month old pants.  It doesn't help that she wears underpants and most 18 months clothing is sized for children wearing diapers. Because there is no "bulk" down there, her pants just slide right on down her little bottom.  So what am I to do to dress her this winter?  

My solution:  the Jumper.  These dresses are super super simple to make and don't require much fabric at all.  All I need to do is stock up on cute tights and turtle necks and make a few of these little dresses and she will be set for cooler weather!  

I found this fabric in the remnant pile at Hobby Lobby for less than $2.  It is brown corduroy with pink polka dots.  It took about 45 minutes to make.  I just used a Simplicity pattern from I purchased from Wal-Mart last year.  

The whole purpose of this blog is to encourage others and to show you how easy it can be to make your own stuff (and save money at the same time!)  I promise you...if you have a sewing machine and know how to operate it, this would be a great project to start with.  I do not like to follow a pattern and have little patience for complex sewing projects, but this one is super easy.  The end results look much more "complicated" than what the actual skill involved takes, and you can make the cutest clothes that look like you purchased them from an upscale children's boutique.       

Now all I need to do is convince my mom to learn to use her new monogramming machine to put her initials on the dress.  Now how cute would that be? :)


2 comments:

Stacey said...

I love the dress!!! If I had a sewing maching, you would have convinced me to try this one. :-) My favorite little girls outfits are pink and brown.

Stacey said...

btw....when are you going to open your own shop? :-)