Wednesday, October 29, 2008

Design on a Dime - Headboards

Just for fun, I thought I'd share some ideas for headboards that I've found while looking for something to do in my daughter's bedroom.  She is about to graduate from the crib into a big girl bed, but I'm still trying to decide whether to buy a traditional bed, or just get a twin sized bed frame for now and make our own headboard.  I'm leaning toward the latter because I'm not ready to commit to a bed for her that she'll use forever (style, size, etc?) so instead, it may be more fun (and frugal!) to just come up with something to use as a headboard. 

Will and I did actually did this ourselves for our own bedroom  When we got married, we were unsure of what style bed we wanted, so instead, we just purchase a bedframe from Pier One.  I saw the idea to use a fireplace mantel in a Southern Living magazine, and my dad actually had an old one from our family's property at the cabin at his hunt club.  He brought it home for me and it was PERFECT.  I didn't have to paint it or anything...just wiped it clean with soap and water!   

I found the picture (which I LOVE) at TJ Maxx on clearance for $15.99 and the glass containers are just from Wal-mart ($1.50 each) with sea shells inside.  My grandmother found the lamps on the side of the road in Columbia while walking one morning.  They were BRAND NEW with the tags still on them (Martha Stewart!)  Then our bedding is also from TJ Maxx and the pillows I made with some fabric I found in Charleston.  Last, but not least, our bed skirt is made from a king size kahki sheet that I found in the clearance aisle at Ross for $2.99.  The whole look for under $100, but it works for now and we've enjoyed it.   

 

This paisley headboard is the forerunner right now for AC's bedroom.  I think if I could find some cute girly fabric, I could get Will to cut out the shape from some wood and then just cover it in batting and fabric.  You could easily recover it when she was older and wanted to change the look of her room.  


I also LOVE this idea, of using old window frames.  You just pop out the glass and in it's place use coordinating fabric to tie the headboard together with your bedding.  I even have the window frames stashed away in my parents' basement that Will helped me rescue one day from the side of the road in Columbia when AC and I met him for lunch.  They looked like they could be used for something, and this may be just the thing!  However, it doesn't look like a it would go in a little girl's bedroom, but more like a guest bedroom. 


Then, last but not least, there is always His House.  My friend, Katie, was a His House junkie when they lived here in Lexington and she always found fabulous furniture finds there for very little money.  We actually found her headboard from there several years ago.  I know she paid less than $20 for it, and I want to say it was more like under $10.  But it was the coolest piece of furniture that had several shelves and she repainted it black and filled it will all kinds of cool accessories.  I wish I had a picture!  I could always check there for a bed to repaint for AC's room.  

So what do you think?  Anybody have any other ideas that would work? 

2 comments:

Brooke said...

I love the headboard covered with fabric...how cute! very easily it's do-able!
I must say...my first "big girl bed" lasted from the time I was 3 until NOW! I still sleep in the same day bed that was purchased 22 years ago!

calicodaisy said...

Hey there. Pretty ideas!
-- Michele